Tampa Bay Rays Software Developer
Location: St. Petersburg · FL · Open remotely
The Tampa Bay Rays are looking for an experienced Ruby on Rails Developer to help the Baseball Systems Department create the best software and analytics solutions in all of Major League Baseball.
What is Baseball Systems?
- As part of baseball operations, our team builds the innovative tools that our players, coaches, analysts, scouts and front office staff use to do their jobs, make decisions and win ball games.
- Our team consists of several data engineers, backend developers and frontend developers and coordinators.
- Every line of code we write – and every feature we ship – directly impacts the field, helping us compete for the playoffs year after year.
- Working within MLB’s most innovative and collaborative front office, your ideas will be welcomed and heard.
We are looking for someone who:
- is an experienced Ruby on Rails developer.
- has experience with relational databases.
- is familiar with Git version control software.
It’s not mandatory, but it would be great if you:
- speak a language other than Ruby. We use several different languages depending on the task.
- are familiar with NoSql databases like Redis or Elasticsearch.
- have an understanding of baseball.
- have an interest in sabermetrics and statistical modelling.
What will you do each day?
- Build new functionality or maintain existing functionality in our proprietary software application.
- Identify and fix bugs quickly.
- Carefully document code and support procedures.
- Meet with baseball operations personnel who requested a new feature to gather requirements and help with feature planning.
- Train non-technical users on new features or applications.
- You could take half a day once in a while to watch a baseball game.
- Help our data engineering team ingest data from new data sources.
Why work for the Rays?
- A best-in-class development environment with a company-provided laptop, Github Enterprise, frictionless CI/CD, bug tracking, best-in-class project and documentation management software, and automated testing for Minimize bugs so you can stay focused on new features.
- Opportunities to choose and work with new technologies. We strongly believe in choosing the right tool for the job, even if it’s not part of our current stack.
- Exceptional benefits including:
- health, vision and dental coverage at VERY competitive rates.
- an enhanced 401k where the company contributes even if you don’t!
- free tickets to baseball and soccer games (we also own the Tampa Bay Rowdies) for you, your friends and family.
- flexible PTO options and monthly paid volunteer opportunities.
- generous family planning assistance and parental leave.
- annual support for continuing education.
- healthy and free lunch directly at the office.
- office yoga and many other wellness benefits.
- You’ll work with some of the sharpest minds in all of baseball.
- You are a good teammate and enjoy working with other motivated and caring teammates.
- Your office is in a baseball stadium! Or your office can be remote, your choice!
- We’re an organization that prides itself on coaching others, so don’t hesitate to apply even if you don’t meet all of the above requirements.
Our interview process
- A phone call of approximately 30 minutes to get to know each other and discuss the position in more detail.
- In some cases, we have a second phone call of around 30 minutes with one of our recruiters.
- A little take-home coding project. We don’t do coding or whiteboard coding tests.
- Two or three small committee interviews. In addition to covering technical skills, you will also meet other Baseball Operations members with whom you will collaborate.
- Take a decision!
All offers are subject to a satisfactory background check.
Statement: All job applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before starting work. Applicants who receive a conditional job offer will be required to produce proof of their vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with eligible disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempt from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they cannot be vaccinated.
Recognition by applyingI understand that if I am offered a role and by accepting a role with the Tampa Bay Rays or the Rowdies, I will be participating in the COVID-19 community risk mitigation practices.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability , gender identity, marital or veteran status or any other protected class.
- Along with your resume and cover letter, please describe your level of Ruby on Rails experience in 100 words or less.
- Where did you hear about this ad?
To apply, please follow this link.
The content of this publication was created and provided solely by the Tampa Bay Rays.